Here is my Top Ten Most Common House Defects based on my experience handling over 1300 house defect cases since 1991. I will follow up on each of these defects in subsequent blogs with more detail and information.
1. Termite Damage - hands down the most litigated defect for me but with Fipronil or Termidor, far less common these days. I have seen houses destroyed by Formosan termites making them complete tear downs. This is the number one top ten most litigated house defect.
2. Foundation Damage - a close second and always a consistent house defect in litigation because it is very costly but so far, I have never seen foundation damage so bad the house had to be destroyed. Closing in on termite damage, foundation damage is number two on the top ten most litigated house defects.
3. Water Intrusion (Not Related to Roof Issues) - this is very general because it comes in all forms from water line leaks inside the house; sewage leaks; water intrusion from flower beds - the list goes on and on. A hearty number three on the top ten most litigated house defects.
4. Window Leaks - so common in affordable houses and expensive mansions, window leaks are the fourth most commonly litigated house defects of the top ten most litigated house defects.
5. Stucco Damage - not really stucco damage, but damage behind a stucco veneer. Stucco damage is number five on the top ten most litigated house defects.
6. Roof Issues - suprisingly, this is not about water leaks but general quality of roofing and roof substructure. No. 6 on the top ten most litigated house defects.
7. Air Conditioning Defects - air conditioning problems begin when the a/c unit is imporperly sized for the home or structure. It gets worse from there. The seventh most litigated house defect of the top ten most litigated house defects.
8. Property Restrictions - easements, flood zones and other detriments to your property can destroy your market value and no one in your
home buying process will care but you. Eight of ten on the top ten most litigated house defects.
9. Flooding - with new subdivisions and new construction near existing homes, flooding continues to be a hazard for home buyers. Only number nine on the top ten most litigated house defects but the most costly defect of all.
10. Termite Infestation - not the damage from termites, but the actual termite infestation by live insects. Live termites round out the top ten most litigated house defects, bookending the number one most commonly litigated house defect - termite damage.